sangiza abandi

Rwanda warns against consumption of banned ‘Ibyuma’ drinks after deaths and permanent health complications

Share with Others

Rwanda’s Minister of Health, Dr. Sabin Nsanzimana, has urged the public to stop consuming alcoholic drinks locally known as “Ibyuma” after authorities linked the beverages to hundreds of health complications and dozens of deaths.

The warning comes after the Rwanda Food and Drugs Authority (Rwanda FDA) suspended the operations of eight factories producing the drinks on August 2, 2026, following inspections that found they were not complying with required safety and quality standards.

The affected products were removed from the market, with authorities calling on consumers to avoid them wherever they may still be available.

Dr. Nsanzimana said continued consumption of the banned drinks could result in serious health consequences, including permanent disabilities and loss of life.

“I urge people to read the Rwanda FDA announcement and check the names of these beverages. No one should continue drinking them because they can cause serious harm,” he told Rwanda Broadcasting Agency (RBA).

The minister said more than 500 people had sought medical treatment in health facilities across the country during the first six months of 2026 due to complications associated with consuming unsafe alcoholic beverages, with at least 50 deaths recorded.

He described the situation as a public health crisis, saying the number of affected people and the severity of the consequences required urgent action.

“Based on the figures we have, we consider this an epidemic. Since January this year, more than 500 people have been treated after consuming such drinks,” Dr. Nsanzimana said.

He cited several cases recorded in different parts of the country, including Ngoma District where more than 100 people were affected at once, as well as cases reported in Nyagatare and parts of the Southern Province.

According to the minister, some victims died before reaching health facilities, while others suffered severe long-term health effects.

He said around 100 people have permanently lost their eyesight, while others are living with lasting complications affecting their brains, liver, kidneys, and other organs.

Dr. Nsanzimana defended the government’s decision to close the factories and halt the sale of the beverages, saying protecting citizens’ lives was more important than protecting business interests.

“Our concern is that no one should die, become blind, or develop liver and kidney diseases because unsafe drinks are being sold in communities,” he said.

Addressing concerns from traders who had already purchased stocks of the banned products, the minister said financial losses cannot outweigh the value of human life.

“The priority must be life. We cannot put the value of contaminated products above the health and safety of people,” he said.

Photos:

[fluentform id="3"]