Four people have been arrested in Huye District over allegations that they deliberately inflicted injuries on themselves and used them to solicit money from members of the public under the pretext of seeking financial assistance for medical treatment.
The suspects were arrested on Monday, August 17, 2026, following allegations that they moved between different markets seeking money from unsuspecting members of the public.
Among those arrested is Zirimwabagabo Didier, 32, from Cyabakamyi Sector in Nyanza District. He told investigators that he had previously carried out the activity under a man identified as Nsabimana Janvier.
Zirimwabagabo said he was paid between Rwf80,000 and Rwf100,000 per week while working for Nsabimana. He later began operating independently after disagreements, particularly over payment.
Another suspect, Hitibanje Frédéric, 26, from Rusenge Sector in Nyaruguru District, is reportedly Nsabimana’s younger brother. According to the information provided to investigators, he was introduced to the scheme and was later paid Rwf100,000 per month, in addition to accommodation and food.
Nsengiyumva Damascene, 20, from Gihundwe Sector in Rusizi District, is also among the suspects. He reportedly met Nsabimana in Nyabugogo before becoming involved in the alleged scheme.
Nsengiyumva later separated from Nsabimana following a disagreement over money and allegedly continued the activity independently.
The fourth suspect, Niyondeba Hamida, 27, from Ngoma Sector in Huye, is Zirimwabagabo’s wife. She allegedly accompanied him to markets, presenting herself as his caregiver while he solicited money.
Investigators also allege that the couple had planned to travel to Kigali, where Hamida would be involved in the same scheme.
The suspects reportedly told investigators that more than 15 people had previously worked under Nsabimana. Some allegedly left after disagreements over payments and subsequently continued the activity independently in different parts of the country.
They also reportedly identified people suspected of supplying substances allegedly used to cause the injuries, as well as an individual who allegedly rented out megaphones used during the solicitation.
The four suspects are being held at Ngoma Police Station as investigations continue. Authorities are also searching for another person suspected of involvement in the alleged scheme.
Efforts to obtain a comment from the Southern Region Police spokesperson were unsuccessful at the time of publication. Huye District authorities, however, confirmed that four people suspected of fraud had been arrested.
The allegations remain subject to investigation, and the suspects are presumed innocent unless proven guilty by a court.








